For me, I did not say anything at all until Andreas responded to
Cheryl.  That rubbed me the wrong way.  Not that I didn't think he
was rude to Rox, which I thought he was as well, but I understood at
least what he was saying, I may not have liked "how" he said it.  But
when he told Cheryl this ....

"PS. If you want to have your videos removed simply delete them from
your website. We don't host any videos at all. We link to everything
so you are 100% in control. I'm always sorry to see links go dead of
course, but it's not my choice."

That is where my issue really started...He never responed to Cheryl
after she called him on this comment, he did not say, "Hey I will
remove the link, all you have to do is ask"  Instead he dissmissed
everyone's comments and concerns, using very elegant language to
belittle people.

Heath
http://batmangeek.com

--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Verdi"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi Adrian,
> I understand and agree with what you just wrote and what Andreas
wrote
> earlier about the manifesto. No arguments there from me. I think (at
> least it's the case with me) that what is bothering some of us is
that
> when we first heard of this project it was simply an artistic
exercise
> using some restrictions. As is often the case, people find those
kinds
> of things challenging, fun and freeing. It was when we were later
> presented with this manifesto that seemed to wrap all of our videos
> (that we had submitted and/or tagged for inclusion on the website)
in
> a context that many of didn't agree with. And what's more I think
> many, like myself, would have chosen to play some other game had we
> been presented with that manifesto before hand.
>
> Also what's bothering people is the incredibly rude (to put it
> politely) way in which Andreas jumped into this thread. It's
something
> he seems to be doing a lot these days.
>
> - Verdi
>
> On Jan 17, 2008 5:51 PM, Adrian Miles <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >

> >  On 18/01/2008, at 6:29 AM, Andreas Haugstrup Pedersen wrote:
> >
> >  > I can tell you that Aske Dam, who first introduced me to the
rules
> >  > creates
> >  > his lumiere videos with one notable exception - he allows
himself to
> >  > break
> >  > one of the rules. Most often this is the "no audio" rule for
the same
> >  > reasons you outline.
> >
> >  hey Andreas
> >
> >  pass on my belated hellos to Aske :-)
> >
> >  I think a useful way to think about the 'manifesto' is in two
ways.

> >  The first is, as Andreas has explained, it's a manifesto written
by
> >  two people. I think that's pretty clear and straight forward. It
> >  raises some provocative points about video practice in relation
> >  blogging, all of which are worth talking about. It also makes
some
> >  claims about the relationship between technology, aesthetics and
> >  videoblogging as a practice. These are also worth discussing.
> >
> >  Now there is nothing in that which means you to have to agree
with
> >  them, but they are certainly worth talking about. :-) If you
were to
> >  make a video that uses some or all of these then this does not
mean
> >  allegiance to the manifesto (written by two people). It isn't
like
> >  there's a dogma vow of chastity to be pledged or anything. I
don't see
> >  this as much different to painting something that picks up some
> >  contemporary aesthetic things and then someone decides my work
falls
> >  within a particular movement. This is what happens, this is the
normal
> >  course of events in study, scholarship and knowledge creation.
So the
> >  manifesto is about making an argument and each of the videos can
be
> >  thought as part of the argument and so an idea. I am free to use
your
> >  material, cited appropriately, to endorse, criticise etc. So for
me
> >  the manifesto is making propositions and finding works that
support
> >  the proposition. If you think that's not your intention in your
work
> >  then I'm sorry, your intention actually doesn't count for a lot
(there
> >  is a lot - and I mean a lot - of theoretical work that
demonstrates
> >  the frailty of intention). This is the cost of putting your work
(no
> >  matter what sort of work it is) out in public.
> >
> >  The second way to think about the manifesto is that it offers
people a
> >  series of formal constraints. This is why they're useful since
the
> >  constraints help make things mean since they provide ready made
> >  patterns. This is why they're very useful to videoblogging. The
> >  constraints help give significance to what you're doing since
one 1
> >  minute silent clip of a cloud is, well, banal. But when it is
> >  contextualised around a whole practice then it reverberates with
these
> >  other works and since there is so much the same (due to the
> >  constraints) the differences between let each of the works
express. It
> >  is not much different to a musical variation, Oulipean writing or
> >  deciding to paint a still life.
> >
> >  As constraints they are recipes to creatiing, and so linking to
them
> >  helps because it is by virtue of the series that the individual
works
> >  get more value. Now if I made a webpage that linked to all the
> >  projects out there that used, for example, the Oblique
Strategies, it