The only people I know who torrent are some people on this list and on
twitter who have said they do, a tiny fraction of my students, and
some  friends who work in tech and who have towers at home that stay
on all the time.

Also, many ppl I know who are biased toward things underground and
obscure not only aren't online enough to bother with a torrent but
have to really be pushed to investigate online video in the first
place, though once they see the good stuff they go back to it.

When I was doing Trace Garden I had more people who wanted me to email
them every time there was a new video than I had subscribers - I
couldn't even get them to bother with the automatic RSS-email
approach. Even RSS was too techy-geeky for them, and these were people
who would have been happy to watch a new episode every day.

My STUDENTS - mostly late teens and twenties and a few early thirties
- don't use RSS and very few use torrents - and when they do, it's to
get software. For them social media means facebook, except that they
stay on myspace for info on their favorite bands, online video means
youtube, and finding out about cool new things happens via text
messages. Those who are more in the know on this stuff are the ones in
their thirties. This may be an inaccurate sample - these are art
students (though they are primarily media arts majors, including a
sizable number of net art people).

I think we get a distorted picture of how many potential viewers
inhabit the web the same way we do.

Brook

Brook Hinton
film/video/audio art