Yeah - what you say is true.  I hadn't thought it through.  Firewire  
3200 will end up being more reliable than the supposedly faster USB  
3.0, I guess.  And better for long data intensive transfers like  
capturing video.  Although if you're just capturing AVCHD files from  
a camera HDD to your Mac, which is what a lot of people will be  
doing, USB will work just as well, I guess.
Good tip on the white macbook.

On 17-Oct-08, at 2:04 PM, Brook Hinton wrote:

The problem with USB - any variety - for video isn't speed, it's the  
data
flow protocol, which apparently doesn't lend itself to sustained data
movement. (Maybe 3.0 changes this, I don't know, but I'm skeptical after
seeing the performance of 2.0). I think both USB and firewire suck, but
they're standards for now. Every external drive solution since SCSI has
promised reliability and performance, and none have delivered it  
(eSATA does
deliver performance, at least).
The white macbook is still there. It's $999. It has firewire 400. If you
don't work with After Effects or Motion or used many GPU-dependent  
effects
it remains an absolute steal.

_______________________________________________________
Brook Hinton
film/video/audio art
www.brookhinton.com
studio vlog/blog: www.brookhinton.com/temporalab

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]






[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply via email to