First of all, I'm not a lawyer.

Secondly, that is a crappy (and all too familiar) situation.

Thirdly (and sadly), I don't think your chances are good to get any money
back.

I once found myself, like you, battling against a company for whom I created
videos on the promise of back-end reimbursement and further employment once
they had more stable cash-flow.

We never had a written contract in place...it was all based on handshakes,
smiles and good faith.

Needless to say, I lost out on that deal.

It did, however, teach me two very valuable lesson:
1) always have a contract,
2) always make sure the contract stipulates and outlines project phases and
a payment structure.

First, without a contract, it's nearly impossible to get money from someone
-- at least, much to my fiercely principled dismay, so says my attorney.

Secondly, if you break up the project into several phases with partial
payment due at the beginning of each phase, you can cover yourself if all of
a sudden the client starts reneging on the agreement.  If you don't get paid
at the start of Phase 2, for instance, you have a contractual right to stop
working.  And if the client refuses the final delivery payment, at least
you're not out the ENTIRE amount.  Don't get me wrong, it still stings to
get stiffed (and always will), but at least you probably won't LOSE money on
the deal.

But, and here's the extra sad part, if you do need to legally enforce a
contract the legal fees can make it all worthless.  If you're going to spend
more on attorney and filing fees than you would make from the job, you may
want to consider just chalking it up to "life experience" and keying the
deadbeat client's car (no, wait, that's not legal -- dang!).  Unless you're
wealthy enough to prove a point, of course.  That would be the life.  :-)

On the other hand, if you threaten to take someone to court, there will be
legal fees on their end as well, and that might encourage them to settle
(after all, they'll be using the same logic as you -- "will going to court
to defend ourselves cost more than just paying for the videos?").

So, that's my $0.02 in general.  Hopefully it helps save someone the same
pain that you and I (and, I'm sure, most of the other members on this list
trying to make a living with this crazy video stuff) have experienced.

With respect to your specific issue -- ultimately, who owns the work: you or
them -- I don't think you could win.  You gave them the videos without a
contract stipulating that they could only use them if they paid you.  And,
as they say, possession is 9/10ths of the law...insofar as you now have the
burden of proof on this one.

They'll argue, "he gave us the videos for free...and NOW, after we've done
*all this work* to put them online and have been using them to promote
ourselves, he's telling us that we have to pay!  That's not fair!  Whine,
whine, whine!"  And then the judge will look at you and say, "Ok, so...do
you have a contract?"

Honestly, I feel for you and I'm certainly not trying to make your day worse
than it already is.  I wish I had a sunnier perspective.  :-(

Hopefully there is an actual lawyer lurking on the list somewhere who can
fill in with more precise advice, but based on my experience I think you're
stuck.

Good luck, though!!  And keep fighting the good fight.

--
Kris Boustedt | First Sight Productions
[EMAIL PROTECTED] | 206.354.5031