highly recommend you read Ted Nelson's original stuff from the 60s on
hypertext and micropayments. He had a similar system except it also
allowed for quotation and applied to all content. Ted's stuff won't
help you build it but it might help solidify the ideas?

On 12/01/2009, at 5:50 AM, Milt Lee wrote:

> That article was excellent. I've been contemplating a technology that
> would make all this happen much sooner. Suppose (and I'm sure many
> people have) that you had a system where folks could give you a few
> cents every time they looked at a video.
>
> Let's say you have a site with 10 videos that anybody can watch, and
> then you post 20 or 30 or 100 more that it costs anywhere from 1 cent
> to 10 cents ( or more) for people to watch. And on your site you have
> a little button that takes folks to another site where they buy
> credits - $ 5.00 or $ 10.00 at a time. Then they come back to your
> site, and click on a video that they want to watch, that costs 2
> cents. They watch it and they are happy, and you've made two cents.
>
> Now when you reach a certain threshold - say $ 10.00, the "Flick Bank"
> deposits the money in your paypal account. You can let it gather if
> want. (Maybe the Flick bank pays interest??)
>
> The way this starts is that somebody puts together the Flick Kicks
> Bank, and starts signing up artists. Then Flick Kicks starts
> promoting the idea that people should get paid for their work.
>
> The problem that has held this back - that has stopped this process of
> mini-micro payments is that up until now, merchant account or Paypal,
> have charged $ .30 a transaction plus 2.7%. With this new system,
> Flicks has to pay for the transaction - but only once. So even though
> $ 5.00 represents 200-250 transactions, there's only one charge at the
> beginning and one that the artist pays, when they get their money.
>
> Anybody want to help me build this?

cheers
Adrian Miles
adrian.mi...@rmit.edu.au
bachelor communication honours coordinator
vogmae.net.au