That's me - broad brush man.  Jack of all trades, master of none.  I
take your point, that it's horses for courses, but I still don't
understand the long term future of advertising for on-demand video.
It's just not happening on anything like the scale of traditional
advertising, or even other online advertising.  Surely it's different
from text - not least in advertisers' ability to keep track of what
content they're being connected to and the costs of providing it?  And
I don't understand

> ads don't work with ephemeral content.

Surely that's exactly where they do work?  Most of the media we
consume is ephemeral - TV, newspapers, online news, we see adverts
alongside those things as they stream into our lives.   On-demand
video is largely different from that, isn't it?  it's short and self-
contained and chosen individually and unlike TV and news, it's not
time-sensitive - it's actually less ephemeral.

But most of it - 97% apparently - is unmonetizable with advertising,
because individual videos' viewing figures are too low - and maybe
it's all too fragmented and uncategorizable, and perhaps advertisers
are not prepared to see their adverts up against every little home
video and copyright-infringing clip.  Even if those things eventually
collectively gather millions of views and last for a lot longer than
most ephemeral advertising-funded media.

According to Credit Suisse, YouTube seems to be making $50-100m from
ads in videos, adjacent banners and sponsored videos.  That's as good
as they can do all year, and they have 40% of the total online video
market worldwide, at a time when online video is booming?

Sure, online viewership is tiny compared to TV, but the gap between TV
and online video advertising seems to be disproportionately large.
Especially when you'd imagine that online video would provide greater
opportunities for more targeted  "addressable" advertising, supposedly
the holy grail.

But the TV ad industry in the US alone is worth $80 billion, 60% of
total advertising spend.  Superbowl ads this year earned NBC over
$200m - that alone is perhaps between 2 and 4 times as much as
Google's making all year from YouTube video ads.

Is online video really that unattractive to advertisers?  How is that
going to change?  It seems to me that at the moment, short on-demand
online videos are more attractive to the viewers than the advertisers,
and therefore that viewers are likely to pay more for them directly
than advertisers would.

At the moment, they don't have to make the choice, because 40% of the
market is being subsidized by Google at a cost of $500m.  No other
business could sustain that kind of loss.  That's what I mean about it
distorting the market.  And if that subsidy disappeared tomorrow,
surely something would have to pay for the huge costs of bandwidth and
content in delivering all this video to people?  Will that be
advertising?  Or pay per view?  Judging by the stats so far, my money
would be on pay per view, not advertising.

But again, that's just a broad personal impression from very little
knowledge or experience. I am just a layman.

Rupert