Hi Rupert,
I got a Canon SD 780 IS a few weeks ago, and it records in both HD and SD
as MOV files. I may have to take the plunge and get Vegas so I can edit the
MOV files.  The trial of Vegas is working out pretty well, so it's a matter
of getting off my wallet when the trial expires.   I did a comparison of my
various cameras a few days ago.  The Canon video is
http://libraryvoice.blip.tv/file/2476370/ , the Flip is
http://libraryvoice.blip.tv/file/2476039/.  Not exactly scientific, as the
files were rendered in different ways, but you get the idea that the Canon
does have slightly better quality, has a better mic, allows for zooming (not
while recording) and multiple exposure options.  I'm not very accustomed to
working in non-WMV file formats, so Vegas and MOV may take getting used to
if I am to take full advantage of the Canon.  Thanks for the input.

--Chad