just some history on this stuff, QT did this quite a while ago
(years), don't remember what they called it. Basically you compressed
2 or 3 or 4 times and you embedded a single QT movie which knew of the
others. The QT client sent info like data rate, connection speed, etc
and on that basis the single QT movie worked out which of the mutliple
versions to send.

QT probably still does it, don't know. It did not work mainly because
it removed choice. I might be on a slow connection and happy to have
small bits of this and that but since I'm a mad (insert passion here)
fan I really do want to be able to choice the hi rez video of my
favourite thing even if it means a 5 hr download.

As a consequence the de facto standard became to compress 2 or 3
bandwidth versions and provide links to each (much like Apple still
does for movie trailers) so that the user decides based on their
interest. If the system below doesn't let me say 'No, I really will
wait 5 hours because I really want that content" or "No, I know I have
a fast connection but I really only want the small version" then there
are problems.

On 18/08/2009, at 1:57 AM, Lauren Galanter wrote:

> Just a bit of info about adaptive streaming, it's gaining a lot of
> momentum.
> At work we use the Move player (which ABC uses to stream full
> episodes, /
> www.movenetworks.com). Each video gets "simulcoded" to multiple
> profiles
> which each have different video/audio bitrates and display sizes,
> all the
> way from postage stamp 32kbps to HD 2000+kbps. We then hacked things
> to make
> it appear that the video is playing in our own branded player so
> it's a
> seamless UEX. Then the users' bandwidth and CPU power is dectected
> on-the-fly to play a certain profile.

cheers
Adrian Miles
adrian.mi...@rmit.edu.au
Program Director, Bachelor of Communication Honours
vogmae.net.au