On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 6:35 AM, B Yen <b...@dslextreme.com> wrote:
> I'm getting interested in the "super zoom" P&S digital cameras, which
> do HD videos. Canon SX200, Panasonic ZS3, Sony H20, Samsung HZ15W.
> People think the top 2 are Canon SX200 & Panasonic ZS3:
>
> http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Panasonic_Lumix_DMC_TZ7_ZS3/verdict.shtml
> http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Canon_PowerShot_SX200_IS/verdict.shtml
>
> Canon does H.264 encoding, & puts the video in a .mov wrapper.
> Panasonic uses AVCHD, which is said to be import unfriendly to video
> editing programs. Canon doesn't have zoom during video mode (!!),

That could be a show-stopper.
Have you considered other models other than the "top two"? You might
find one that is a better compromise between your key requirements and
video quality. Don't forget audio quality. If you do mostly commentary
behind the camera then front mic models might not be as good as say
top mic models etc.

> Panasonic does. Panasonic uses Leica lens (very sharp), & people note
> that its pictures are sharped than the Canon. Canon has full manual
> mode (with aperture & shutter priority, etc), while Panasonic is all
> automatic modes (no full manual control).

For quick'n'dirty field use on a portable device I woundn't be
concerned with lack of manual control for video.

> Has anyone tried any of the above 4 cameras? If so, what is your
> workflow like? What video editing programs do you use? I saw a ZS1
> video, man it looked GOOD!! I thought was from a camcorder, it was
> that good. See:
>
> http://www.socaltrailriders.org/forum/trail-conditions/40405-arroyo-station-fire-video.html
>
> Up to now, I've been using cellphone videos which are choppy. Audio
> is bad. I want to shoot better quality videos, with a compact "mobile
> media solution". I need something to bridge the gap..to my SOny HDR-
> HC3 HD camcorder (mini DV tape, HDV format) I got in 2006..3 yrs ago.
> These days, many of these camcorders are tapeless, going direct to SD
> cards. I just got a Canon 5D II, which does incredible HD video
> (haven't tried it yet).

The Canon 5D MkII is equivalent to many HD movie production cameras,
and you can mod it for better video features:
http://www.edn.com/blog/980000298/post/660048666.html

Dave.