2009/10/22 Rupert Howe <rup...@twittervlog.tv> wrote:
> It's just been suggested to me that since some people have missed out,
maybe we should start a 2nd calendar - have a second 'competing' chain.

> I reckon it could already be half filled with people who have missed out -
maybe we'd have to seek out people to fill the remaining spaces. Or maybe
not. The first one filled up in less than a day.

> What do you think?

I have been mulling this over for a while now, and I have come to the
conclusion that I don't like the idea of separate "chains" (much as I don't
like the idea of imposing extra rules on length, format, content or
whatever.)

Surely the point of this exercise is to inspire and empower creators to
share and work together rather than to constrain, limit and separate.

Just because someone happened to check their email in time to get an
original slot should not mean that they become part of some sort of founding
clique, and that people with other time zones or email practices are
relegated to a "B team". If we are not all of equal value here then it is
not the community I thought it was.

My suggestion is simple. Rather than "one video from one person each day"
the game should be "_at_least_ one video from one person each day". Now that
we have one name in each "slot", we have great freedom. Newcomers should be
free to add their name to any slot they like, or even just wait for
inspiration to strike during the process itself.

This is the real world, and it's very likely that a few of the original
slots will not result in a video, or at least not in enough time to keep the
flow moving. More participants means more flexibility and more chance of
achieving something great.

During the "semanal" project I part-built some software to allow people to
individually "curate" and publish paths through the hundreds of videos which
accumulated during the year. Something like that could add an extra
dimension of interest to this project too.

Please don't tie down vital creativity with rules to suit some imagined and
(probably non-existent) viewer. Let something beautiful emerge!

Thanks,
Frank.