Hi Frank,

I've also thought about this a lot - and am trying to balance keeping
it open while prompting involvement - again, I stress that I don't
want to be 'in charge' of this.  So I'm a little reluctant to defend
the idea.  But I do have an opinion about your argument - so here it is:

Videoblogging as a whole is wide open.  Anyone can do it.  Some people
who used to do it are doing it less often - and many of those people
seem to like collaborative games because they prompt them to make
videos, and because of the social aspects.

Videoblogging week and NaVloPoMo and Semanal are such games - they
have a challenge and constraint built into them: they demand one video
per day or per week.  That's what people like about them.  But they're
open to absolutely anybody.

NaVloPoMo is still open for the challenge of participation - anybody
can rise to that challenge and constraint as much as they want.

This particular game doesn't limit that.  It's just a subset of
NaVloPoMo.  It's a clear, fun concept - which is what's attractive
about it.

I don't believe the concept takes anything away from anybody.  It's
not meritocratic or nepotistic.  Although it wasn't a lottery draw,
chance still dictated who would play.  It was on the list from 4pm UK
time to lunchtime the next day.  The participant include quite a few
people who haven't played these games before, and couldn't be
considered to be one of this list's usual suspects - which is
brilliant - while many of those that you might expect to be present
are not.   Towards the end, I emailed the previous participants of
NaVloPoMo 2007 who hadn't signed up to let them know about it, and a
few people tweeted about it.

So for all those reasons, I don't think the word 'clique' fits here.

But it is a shame that some people didn't make it in time, and I agree
that it should be as open to as many people as possible.

One way of doing that would be, as you say, to let anybody make videos
whenever they wanted, signing up to any dates, and dispense with the
idea of a chain.

But that would mean sacrificing the attractive simplicity and
structure of the game's concept in order to avoid appearing 'cliquey'.

Another way of opening it up to as many people as possible, while
retaining the game's concept, is to start another chain.

Again, there's no reason to think of this as a 'B' Team - they are
people selected by chance of timing.

I was reluctant to suggest it, because I feel like I've suggested
enough here.  That's why instead of just doing it, I asked if people
were into it.

If you are, great - if you prefer something less structured and
conceptual, also great.  It's up to you all to decide! :)

What do you think?

Rupert
http://twittervlog.tv