On 10/24/09, David Jones <david.jo...@altium.com> wrote:
> But as it turns out, I think I might have a bit more to spend, so the
> Sanyo Xacti might be a possibility at the $450 or less price point.

Well, the more I look at the Sanyo Xacti the more impressed I am.
The VPC-HD1010 model can be had for around $450, has external mic and
headphones, and a huge F1.8 lens and 1/2.5 sensor and has an awesome
sounding 448 x 336 (300 fps) mode. Not sure what you could use that
for, but it might be handy for capturing high speed video of some
things I plan on blowing up for my blog :->

The older VPC-HD1000 is only AU$350 (no high speed video mode), and
the newer VPC-HD2000 is $550

All seem almost identical in term of lens, sensor size and features,
and of course have a proper flip-around screen so I can see myself in
the shot. That is the main drawback with the Zi8

Dave.