To get the best of both worlds, I use one of these:

http://www.sharkoon.com/html/produkte/docking_stations/sata_quickport_pro/index_en.html?id=2

It allows me to hot-plug any SATA drive, and provides both USB2 and
SATA connections. They even make one with USB3.

I have a stack of regular "internal" 1TB and 2TB hard drives beside my
editing PC and just plug and play. Best of all, my data is not held
hostage to their hardware. If this adapter dies, I can always put the
same hard drive in a standard USB drive enclosure available from any
PC store and carry on with no change.

Anyone else do anything like this?

Frank.


On 16 April 2010 19:12, Robert Millis <[email protected]> wrote:
> I should add that Western Digital *internal* drives have always performed 
> very well for me.
>
>
> On Apr 16, 2010, at 1:55 PM, Robert Millis wrote:
>
>> The MyBook drives seem to be a good option for archival use, but I
>> have to say ghat I've never had them perform well for use when
>> editing. The Fantom drives and some Lacies have been best on my
>> system. So if you think you might push some of the editing to an
>> external, I recommend those options.
>>
>> - Rob
>>
>> Sent from my Robphone
>>
>> On Apr 16, 2010, at 1:27 PM, Mark Villaseñor <[email protected]
>> v> wrote:
>>
>> > David Lee King: "I'd like to move to doing more editing of videos
>> > and music
>> > off of an external hard drive..."
>> >
>> > Hi David:
>> > Well, for whatever its worth, I'd suggest NOT editing directly from an
>> > external but rather using one (or more) for archival purposes. Lots of
>> > reasons for this yet suffice it to say; unless you utilize Firewire or
>> > perhaps USB 3.0 cutting speed & flow may be affected (depending on
>> > your
>> > system, of course).
>> >
>> > Although Western Digital has been poo-poo'd on the Net, it's worth
>> > noting
>> > that EVERY hard drive manufacture has failures. WD's, however, are
>> > by and
>> > large dependable drives used by mainstream industry players for this
>> > reason.
>> >
>> > That said; the Western Digital 1TB/2TB My Book Essential drives are
>> > fine for
>> > archrivals. We use the 1TB model (RAD emulated in quad - split, 2 & 2)
>> > because XP only recognizes up to 1-Terabyte, but one could
>> > theoretically
>> > partition the 2TB unit to overcome this XP issue.
>> >
>> > These units can be had for as little as $99/$149 US, respectively, via
>> > online sources. Even so one may be able to find lower pricing by
>> > shopping
>> > around.
>> >
>> > Hope this helps.
>> >
>> > Mark Villaseñor,
>> > http://www.TailTrex.tv
>> > Canine Adventures For Charity - sm
>> > http://www.SOAR508.org
>> >
>> >
>>
>> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>>
>>
>
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>
>

Reply via email to