Looks like things may be about to turn uglier on this front:

http://blogs.fsfe.org/hugo/2010/04/open-letter-to-steve-jobs/

Jobs has apparently replied:

'From: Steve Jobs
To: Hugo Roy
Subject: Re:Open letter to Steve Jobs: Thoughts on Flash
Date 30/04/2010 15:21:17

All video codecs are covered by patents. A patent pool is being assembled to go
after Theora and other "open source" codecs now. Unfortunately, just because
something is open source, it doesn't mean or guarantee that it doesn't infringe
on others patents. An open standard is different from being royalty free or
open source.'