I would not bet on the Swank salesperson being a big film buff. Things might
have changed over the year, but that certainly was not their reputation in
the past. My favorite of all Swank stories involved a school that had
ordered a 35mm print of classic film for which a studio had done a major
reissue just about a year before. It was not a small reissue and I would bet
several dozen new/restored prints were made. The programmer reminded the
Swank booker to MAKE sure they got one the new prints as the "old" ones were
known to be horrid. The day of the show the print arrived, it was red,
splicy, and very beat up. It was clearly a decades old print. The irate
programmer called up the Swank booker to complain as we could not even show
the print. The Swank booker looked up the title in the Maltin TV/Movie book
and pronounced " The film is 50 years old. What did you expect?" Apparently
they had no concept a NEW print of a 50 year old film.