A very interesting develpoment. A few years ago when I still subscribed to the
Music Library Assoc. email discussion list another list member brought up a
company (Proper) that put out nicely-packaged selections of music that may or
may not have been in the public domain and the disinterest on the part of the
majority of the list surprised me. In fact many members of the list felt no
compunction about buying offered recordings for which the rights were an open
question. They didn't seem to feel it was up to them to be concerned about such
matters.

"I wonder if all the artists involved reclaimed their works would the millions
of people who rip them off with illegal downloads etc. stop claiming it did not
matter because they were only getting even with rich, evil corporations who
took advantage of artists? I doubt it."

I wonder about that, too. Of course there are evil coporations and then there
are evil corporations. In one previous case cited in the link Jessica provided,
it mentioned the estate of Bob Marley losing a case in which they tried to
regain control of some of Bob's music recorded before 1978. But more recently,
the estate (ie-- Bob's surviving family) prevailed in a lawsuit brought by
former members of the Wailers who claimed that their oral contracts and rights
as participants in Bob's recordings had been violated by the family/estate
after Bob's death.

To paraphrase Ollie, popular music is a whole other kettle of fish.

Mike Tribby
Senior Cataloger
Quality Books Inc.

mailto:mike.tri...@quality-books.com

Not much to do with our usual discussions, but very interesting

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/16/arts/music/springsteen-and-others-soon-eligible-to-recover-song-rights.html?hp

--
Jessica Rosner
Media Consultant