One part of this discussion is whether the music rights really "belong"
with the recording artists.  "Work for hire" and numerous "authors" create
a difficult legal tangle.

Another part of this discussion, which Jessica alluded to, and which is
more interesting culturally, is what the artists will do with the music
once they get it - market it differently, sell it on their sites, let it
be downloaded, rewrite contracts with labels to distribute?

Record companies have been behind the curve on digital distribution for
the last 20 years - they failed to figure out how to deliver to a new
"digital native" population) - and had contentious relationships with
their artists.  Now that their business model is eroded, this development
may change that although they will kick and scream.

The anime example is regarded as true.  Companies did not release anime in
US and a thriving (and passionate) audience traded dupes, fansubs and
fandubs at conventions and online until their number could not be ignored,
and it is now a $4 billion industry. Not everyone steals everything always.

What this story really foretells, with music rights further fragmented
away from music labels, is the final nail in their coffin.  They can't
even release remastered greatest hits anymore.

- -
Roger Brown
Manager
UCLA Instructional Media Collections & Services
46 Powell Library
Los Angeles, CA  90095-1517
office: 310-206-1248
fax: 310-206-5392