"The anime example is regarded as true.  Companies did not release anime in US
and a thriving (and passionate) audience traded dupes, fansubs and fandubs at
conventions and online until their number could not be ignored, and it is now a
$4 billion industry. Not everyone steals everything always."

When did the legitimate release of anime begin in the U.S. market? We were
offered some anime titles in 1992 but were too tredpidatious (ie-- chicken) to
offer them to our public library market because of concerns about cartoon
character nudity. But regardless of when anime was released on the American
market, the situation Roger describes--fans trading recordings among
themselves--also grew up in pop music with the Deadheads more or less leading
the way. But early hip-hop recordings were distributed the same way as well as
Black Metal, jam band, and other one-time non-mainstream genres. Not everyone
steals everything always, but just about anything popular that's not nailed
down will be stolen.

"What this story really foretells, with music rights further fragmented away
from music labels, is the final nail in their coffin.  They can't even release
remastered greatest hits anymore."

Crap. And here I've been waiting for the Justin Bieber dub remixes to hit the
streets.

Mike Tribby
Senior Cataloger
Quality Books Inc.