re: Debra's question, Randal to Mandel , et al.,

I liked Barb Bergman's idea of setting aside an amount to cover PPR fees. I
have a running argument with our collection development person about this,
since he tends to pay for PPR on almost anything we purchase, esp. if the list
price is "Universities and higher ed. ... $250, includes PPR." i.e We don't
generally question that published statement. But we've had more than one
disagreement over a video that can be purchased for $19.95, which will almost
certainly ONLY be used in the classroom, but which acquisitions will still pay
PPR "just in case."

But to Debra's specific points:

1) no we don't have a policy on this, but anything over $300-400 gets an
eyebrow raised. e.g. the StarThrower videos of Joel Barker, et al. get a thumbs
down. We just can't afford it. Or the "Abilene Paradox" managing agreement
video -- ixnay. I have proposed sharing videos with the requesting dept., even
suggesting a co-sponsored workshop to recoup some cost, but in general other
depts. want the library to pay, not their dept. In lieu of policy documents I
simply write an effusive letter that says no in more words than necessary.

2) We've agreed to work with both student groups and depts. on these types of
series, and we will cover PPR *if* there is liklihood that the videos will be
shown again in regular classes. We work pretty much from a curriculum model.
One example is a Women and Islam series of six videos that we did over the
course of a semester. We covered the PPR fees on that and those films have
continued to be popular in many classes. We have been able to get some matching
funds a couple times in the past -- it's not a problematic issue at the moment.

3) We don't have a policy on that -- at least that I know of (to quote Ellen
DeGeneres). Given my opening gambit you can probably see why. Basically unless
some dept. wants tp partner with us, we take the hit on PPR. It's more or less
an assumption that it's the library's job to do that.

Hope this helps. Please know that I have GOOD relations with my colleagues and
these disagreements are more like thought pieces rather than internecine
warfare. PPR, schmeePR, it's more fun to have beer on Fridays (I maintain my
snobbery and drink mourvèdre) and keep kvetching, than really get serious about
it. When the money is gone, it's gone. But I keep trying to convince them that
most of these never leave the classroom context.

Yours, reb