From: "Bergman, Barbara J"
<barbara.berg...@mnsu.edu<mailto:barbara.berg...@mnsu.edu>>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 18:21:59 -0400
To: "videolib@lists.berkeley.edu<mailto:videolib@lists.berkeley.edu>"
<videolib@lists.berkeley.edu<mailto:videolib@lists.berkeley.edu>>
Subject: Re: [Videolib] Video Cool Dev.Policies Covering Cost and Special Series

Hi Debra-

We generally limit departments to no more than 25% of their library allocation
for non-book purchases.
If the title seems multi-disciplinary, I’ll usually pick it up with my video
budget.  If it’s pricey and rather specialized, we can split the cost between
their account and mine.
For series, I usually look at per title cost.  They might have to wait awhile.

We’ve been getting more questions about PPR. Not sure if it’s because less
funding is available elsewhere, or if people are more aware that they need the
PPR...
We setup up a small account of $1000 where student groups can apply for us to
buy a film with PPR for them to do a screening. (Criteria: some educational
purpose, not merely for entertainment)

Sounds like as much of your dilemma is internal funding structure as are the
departments themselves.  Good luck.
I have to say that $650, it had better be for a great big public event not a
single class.

Barb Bergman | Media Services & Interlibrary Loan Librarian | Minnesota State
University, Mankato | (507) 389-5945 |
barbara.berg...@mnsu.edu<mailto:barbara.berg...@mnsu.edu>