If you can find it, there is a 26 minute episode from the CBS
"Twentieth Century" series, made in 1959, titled "The Movies Learn to
Talk"

Sixty-five years of the development of sound films are telescoped in
this CBS documentary. It presents a variety of examples of sound
research including that of Edison, Gaumont, DeForest, Warner Brothers'
Vitaphone and Fox Movietone. Brief scenes are shown from silent and
sound films with celebrities such as John Barrymore, George Bernard
Shaw and Al Jolson in  " The Jazz Singer ".

Brigid Duffy
Academic Technology
San Francisco State University
San Francisco, CA  94132-4200