For now, I'm doing a little bit of all three of the below options.  Some
faculty, particularly Film Studies, are specifically requesting Blu-ray, and I
will purchase both Blu-ray and DVD for those titles.  But really the Blu-ray
preference has not been very strong overall.  I agree that the combos, when
available, are a nice option.
I have to keep in consideration the equipment availability on campus.  Right
now our budget is such that we (the Library) can't really request Blu-ray
playback equipment.  Some of the classrooms have been updated to have these
players, but many haven't.  I'm sure that's coming, and I see no reason why, as
we replace DVD players, we wouldn't purchase Blu-ray players.  The snag with
that view is that in general, there is a strong reliance on the DVD players
within all the PCs, both in the Library and many of the classrooms, rather than
standalone players.
I don't think Blu-ray will ever completely replace DVD if for no other reason
than existing content availability, but we are already seeing some titles only
released as Blu-ray, at least initially.  That makes me think we should be
prepared to support Blu-ray to some extent sooner rather than later.
Rue McKenzie
Coordinator of Media Collections
Academic Resources
University of South Florida, Tampa Library
813-974-6342 / rmcken...@usf.edu<mailto:rmcken...@usf.edu>
"An education isn't how much you have committed to memory, or even how much you
know. It's being able to differentiate between what you know and what you
don't."--Anatole France