From: videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Deg Farrelly
Sent: Monday, October 12, 2015 1:22 AM
To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Cc: m...@shashwati.com
Subject: Re: [Videolib] preferred streaming service

Shashwati

I am the media librarian for a large public university.

It is my preference to be able to purchase videos directly, with streaming
rights in perpetuity (life of file).

I know that I am not alone in this preference and that many other librarians
that I know, do not want an access model that requires us to repeatedly re-pay
for the same content.

We are accustomed to purchasing a DVD and owning the DVD for loan or classroom
use.  Having to pay for a title again after one or three years (a predominant
licensing model) saps our acquisition budgets and limits our ability to acquire
additional new content.

Many of us have our own hosting systems.  While we may (and most of us do)
license content served on different companies┬╣ servers:  Films on Demand,
Docuseek2, Ambrose, Alexander Street, etc. (all of which offer us purchase
opportunity in addition to term licensing) some prefer to host the content
locally and do not need to rely on the hosting from another company.

It is not necessary to limit your content to one service provider. Your
streaming rights do not have to be exclusive. You can make your titles
available on Alexander Street AND on Kanopy; on Films on Demand AND on NewDay.
Or on all providers. AND, still license the rights to individual libraries.

I am certain other librarians on this list will have other comments to make.

deg farrelly
Media Librarian/Streaming Video Administrator Arizona State University
Libraries Tempe, AZ  85287-1006
602.332.3103