Hi John,

I don't have an answer but this is the subject of my next editorial. "13" is
one of the most high-profile Netflix titles to date and I agree with you
concerning doubts as to whether it will be released on DVD anytime soon.
"Beasts of No Nations" has yet to appear on DVD, nor has the Oscar-nominated
"Winter on FIre." Netflix's "Whatever Happened, Miss Simone?" finally got a
DVD release.

I think we are starting to see a growing exclusives war with Netflix,
Amazon, and others who don't necessarily have a huge incentive in releasing
titles on a physical format. When we received the press release from Sony
for Todd Solondz's latest, "Wiener-Dog," it only mentioned a digital release
for this Amazon production (actually, you can buy an unannounced
manufacture-on-demand DVD or Blu-ray of the film from Amazon).

And while I am personally thrilled that Turner is launching a new SVOD
service that will feature Criterion titles and other classics, I worry that
we are going to continue to see a kind of balkanization in commercial
streaming services similar to cable, with libraries having access problems
to major exclusive titles--like "13."

I am definitely curious to hear what others think.

Best,

Randy

Randy Pitman
Publisher/Editor