At 05:07 PM 11/1/2005, bill kilpatrick wrote:
>--- Alexander Batov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Corrubias  (1611) sums it up rather neatly as "the
> > guitar is a vihuela,
> > small in size and also of less strings, since it has
> > no more than five and
> > sometimes only four."
>
>there's quite a lot in your answer - but for now,
>thanks heaps for the above.

This quote, of course, is a very late perception in the life of the 16th c.
(and a little beyond) vihuela, and I'm pretty certain it's been cited here
before, Bill.  I believe there was a more clear distinction between the two
concepts early on, before burgeoning guitar popularity began to swallow up
the concept of vihuela.

Best,
Eugene