Hi Rob,

I'd suggest that in 1609, whether in Mexico or Spain itself, the term
"vihuela" still haeld a primary association with the high art, lute-like
repertoire of the Spanish Golden Age, while by 1730, the term had returned
to one of its more generic meanings (although in Portugal at that time, as
still today in Brazil, the term viola seems to have been associated
particularly with what we would call the guitar).

Stanley