bill kilpatrick wrote:

>re: the viola like instrument illustrated here:
>
>http://www.anselmus.ch/images/icon_dai_libri.jpg
>
>strummers 'n pluckers ... stringfellows all ... isn't
>it also called a puertorican cuatro?
>
>it would seem that the line separating vihuela from
>guitar becomes more indistinct with each quoted,
>historical source.  tunings are adaptable to both; the
>repertoire is easily shared; number of courses during
>its development are variable; decorative motif is
>incidental - dimensions as well ...
>
>given the basic figure "8" shape, fingerboard and
>tuning apparatus, couldn't the distinction be thought
>of as purely subjective? ... as much today as it ever
>was?  ... a potato vs potato discourse?

Well, not exactly. The one thing you still have yet to get past is:
The Charango , with its 5 courses, cannot play the repertoire written in
the early to mid 16th century for a 6 course  Vihuela de mano without
omitting one of the strings.

So, as far as the "Charango is Vihuela de mano" argument goes: 5 is jive.

But don't despair! Besides pummeling the baroque guitar supporters on
this list with your Charango, you can probably attempt to convince the
good folks on BANJO-L that the Charango is closely related to the 5
string banjo.  Earl Scruggs will be most pleased, I'm sure.  >:)