     From: Lex Eisenhardt <eisenha...@planet.nl>
     Subject: [VIHUELA] Re: Grenerin
     To: "Vihuelalist" <vihuela@cs.dartmouth.edu>, "Martyn Hodgson"
     <hodgsonmar...@yahoo.co.uk>
     Date: Wednesday, 20 April, 2011, 14:04

   Marini's familiarity with alfabeto is clearly shown in his introduction
   to the 1622 collection. He has introduced a number of cadences with 4-3
   suspensions, such as .A. A B etc. We find these again in the songs. The
   preface speaks of the intent of 'il autore', and it seems clear that
   Marini wanted to use the guitar for accompaniment, and use his new
   alfabeto cadences.
   The reason for some songs not having alfabeto could be that this is his
   first collection with guitar. The type of songs is not very different
   from the ones in his collection of 1620, in which there is no alfabeto.
   There are a number of anthologies of other composers in which only part
   of the songs have alfabeto. Often it were the 'most appropriate'
   (simpler) songs that were inscribed with guitar chords. That could as
   well be the case here, I have not looked.
   best, Lex