Thanks Lex,

   If I understand aright you suggest that the requirements of fixed
   alfabeto chords frequently (usually?) dictated the harmonies Marini and
   Co felt able to write.  I can't agree - I think the thesis that they
   fitted tunes to alfabeto rather than the other way round is, if I may
   say, rather putting the cart before the horse. Of course, well known
   chordal sequences were (and continue to be) a rich seam to tap
   for creating florid divisions both instrumental and vocal (D'India's
   exquisite 'Piangono al pianger mio' set to the Romenesca is a good
   example) but I don't think we're discussing this form here - rather
   newly set songs (mainly in strophic form).

   Noting  - that Marini wasn't overbothered at passing dissonances (see
   earlier) resulting from having to fit a limited set of chords to
   melodies which presumably they'd have avoided if fitting a song to the
   generally available alfabeto chords; that some songs don't have
   alfabeto; that some of the alfabeto is incomplete; that many composers
   (the large majority surely) didn't actually play the guitar -  I
   suggest the songs were usually conceived first, from whence the
   harmonies flowed, and to which the guitar alfabeto was finally attached
   as best as could (if time and marketing preferences allowed).

   rgds