    From: Lex Eisenhardt <eisenha...@planet.nl>
    Subject: [VIHUELA] Re: Grenerin
    To: "Vihuelalist" <vihuela@cs.dartmouth.edu>, "Martyn Hodgson"
    <hodgsonmar...@yahoo.co.uk>
    Date: Wednesday, 20 April, 2011, 14:04

  Marini's familiarity with alfabeto is clearly shown in his introduction
  to the 1622 collection. He has introduced a number of cadences with 4-3
  suspensions, such as .A. A B etc. We find these again in the songs. The
  preface speaks of the intent of 'il autore', and it seems clear that
  Marini wanted to use the guitar for accompaniment, and use his new
  alfabeto cadences.
  The reason for some songs not having alfabeto could be that this is his
  first collection with guitar. The type of songs is not very different
  from the ones in his collection of 1620, in which there is no alfabeto.
  There are a number of anthologies of other composers in which only part
  of the songs have alfabeto. Often it were the 'most appropriate'
  (simpler) songs that were inscribed with guitar chords. That could as
  well be the case here, I have not looked.
  best, Lex