Hi guys,

Got my very first GPS (eTrex Venture HC) last week, and as a Linux-only
type of person, I've been investigating ways to get up-and-running with
it. Discovered Viking pretty quickly, and I have to say, I'm impressed!

The only other decent app seems to be QlandKarteGT, and it's
documentation is non-existant, whereas Viking worked out-of-the-box for
me, so good work devs. I've got Track/Waypoint upload/download working
fine, so my GPS is useable for going walking now.

Currently my question is regarding the map display in Viking. I've seen
very nice screenshots involving pretty detailed contour maps, with
shading of gradient and all sorts. However, I suspect these are taken
from Google, which (reading the list) I understand has been removed from
Viking. I've got all 4 OSM map tilings working fine, but the others (Terra*,
BlueMarble, etc) seem to display nothing.

The OSM-Cycle map is probably good enough for my basic needs as a hiker,
but I'd love to see what the others look like for comparison, so any
help appreciated :)

Finally, as a longtime Linux admin, occaisonal doc-writer, and wannabe
developer, if there's anything I can usefully do to help out, give me a
shout.

Cheers, Greg