Hi Julie, Susan, Franc, Susan...

Great discussion!  I too am fairly slow in putting some thoughts together.

Julie, you mention distinguishing between national and other markers of
social identity.

I mix with lots of different groups - country/city, inmate/civilian,
gay/straight/ , deaf/hearing/ deaf & blind, coloured/black/white,
academic/non academic/student/teacher, homeless/homehave, rich/poor,
immigrant/permanent resident/illegal resident...and something that I have
noticed in most gatherings of the signing deaf community is that the degree
of isolation and marginalisation is so extreme that identity as a signing
deaf person seems to be much stronger than any other identity. How do I
observe this - really only by noticing who's present.  Most gatherings
include physically 'disabled', people of all colours/backgrounds, 'deaf &
blind' and people willing to interpret for them, varying/all ages ,
unemployed, academics, interpreters, artists, actors and a huge range of
language abilities and other categories I"m sure to have missed.

Compared to the other groups i mix in, it usually strikes me as remarkable.
The need to come together and communicate in a language that is easily
understood and so denied in everyday life - it is a very exciting thing to
attend a deaf community event. The signing deaf are a group without a
country/nation when it comes to gaining access to status as a linguistic
minority rather than a 'disability group'.  They have many of the
characteristics  of a national/cultural/ethnic group but without a country.
Regardless of the host country a deaf group's language can be completely
different. Eg.  Despite USA, Ireland, England being dominantly English
speaking countries the sign language of each of these countries is totally
different.  Sometimes it seems identity belongs more to the language group
rather than the host country, which of course may be an additional identity.

In countries where there is no recognition of the deaf at all, the deaf are
even more isolated because alone they cannot develop a sign language.
Access to a signed language only occurs when there are significant numbers
to create language.

This group is also particularly unique in that some deaf unable to achieve
any level of the host spoken language, communication and participation with
the hearing community is completely dependent on an interpreter or resort to
written language.  I suppose people in jail, social isolation ....may
experience this to some extent but rarely for their whole lives. This then
places onus on the interpreter to deal with issues of 'normality', access
and equity, rights to paid interpreters, representation...  It is still the
case that most public and many educational/private events are denied to the
deaf for want of paid interpreters.  Is this off the track?

I wonder if there are other groups such as some religious groups, travelling
groups...that fit into this category which of course includes numerous other
distinctions within it.

Like you Susan, I am ready with the nose peg, but look forward to feedback
nonetheless :))

Pam.