On Fri, Jan 19, 2007 at 01:09:41PM +0100, Martin Stubenschrott wrote:
> First and most important thing would be to enable nocompatible by
> default when the executable name is (g)vim, compatible should still be
> on, when the executable name is vi. Enabling/disabling by an (non-)existing

That's precisely what we do in Debian. In the past we used to have
'nocompatible' set per default, but a non-negligible amount of users
asked for vim to behave more similarly to the plain old Vi when we
switched from nvi to vim in the default debian installation.

The solution of being compatible when invoked as 'vi' and being
nocompatible when invoked in a different way made everybody happy. The
(trivial) patch we are using to implement this behaviour is available
at:

http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/pkg-vim/trunk/packages/vim/debian/tiny/vimrc.tiny.diff?op=file&rev=0&sc=0

FWIW we also set a lot of other default values when not invoked as 'vi'.

Cheers.

[EMAIL PROTECTED],debian.org,bononia.it} -%- http://www.bononia.it/zack/