On Thu, Jan 18, 2007 at 05:46:55PM +0100, A.J.Mechelynck wrote:
> Vim defaults to 'compatible' mode everywhere, except where it finds a
> "user" _vimrc or .vimrc (system vimrc doesn't count).
>
> I personally recommend to create the following as $HOME/_vimrc (or
> $HOME/.vimrc) immediately after first installation, and to add tweaks as
> one gets going:

This isn't really applicable to *nix-like systems, where you have tons
of users, and packages as vim are usually installed system-wide.

As a sysadm, should I install .vimrc on the home of every user? Should I
modify the /etc/skel/ dir so that every new user get a .vimrc upon
account creation? Ok that "vim" is my second most used command (after
"ls" :-)), but this is really too much to ask for just an editor.

Rather, time is probably mature to ship vim with 'compatible' mode off
by default, explaining ancient *nix lovers how to turn it *on*.

Cheers.

[EMAIL PROTECTED],debian.org,bononia.it} -%- http://www.bononia.it/zack/