John Beckett wrote:

> > Perhaps providing a file with commented-out option settings and
> > mappings.
>
> Yes. This would be relatively painless. In my wild imagination, I
> prefer a command in Vim that would edit vimrc (creating it if
> necessary), then append/edit a source command that includes a
> "standard" script distributed with Vim.

I think this is the most useful that has come out of this discussion.
We already have $VIMRUNTIME/vimrc_example.vim.  It could be improved and
extended.  But it should not get too long.

When installing a new version the file might change.  But since the user
has to change it to his liking, sourcing it is not a good idea.  Copying
snippets also doesn't help, each snippet might have changed.  It's
probably best to suggest making a copy, change it, and later use diff
mode to find the changes and include the ones you like.

> >> Take the wonderful quickfix window (which I use mainly for vimgrep)
> >
> > That's just because you happen to need this, and pick the one
> > feature out of the thousands available and map it to a key.
>
> Yes - I am being prescriptive. There should be a "do it this way"
> built-in script with a carefully planned set of mappings for a
> programmer. That would include mapping common quickfix and tags
> operations to function keys.
>
> Also include another set of mappings for a poet, or whatever. But
> IMHO it is a shame that a C programmer might try Vim but not have
> the time or patience to see how well grep and ctags can be
> integrated into an editor.

I think that sets of mappings for simple commands for a specific usage
are not very useful.  It takes just as much time to learn the mappings
as finding the original commands.  Making mappings yourself helps a lot
to be able to remember them.  And there are always scripts on
www.vim.org for this.

That could be a tip on www.vim.org.

> To finish, I'm not suggesting that the optimum one-size-fits-all set
> of mappings be determined. Any set of well-planned mappings
> would be better than the current blank slate.

The best set of mappings is what you make yourself.  That's like: don't
give a hungry person food, teach him how to grow food.

--
Don't read everything you believe.