John Beckett wrote:

> Bram Moolenaar wrote:
> > No, I don't want that.  Pressing ESC is to get back to Normal mode,
> > it should not have side effects like this.
>
> OK. But my suggestion was not that ESC would go to Normal mode _and_
> clear highlighting. My proposal was that if I start in Insert mode,
> then press ESC I would be in Normal mode (as normal :), but if I
> press ESC again then highlighting and message text would be cleared.

The idea is that you can press ESC a few times without having to check
what mode you are in exactly (that can be quite difficult at times).
Typing one ESC too many is easily done, I don't like this to have side
effects.

> I'm happy so long as you've heard my idea. A couple of people here
> seem to think that _I_ want these suggestions. Not at all. I'm
> fluent in Vim and don't need any of my proposals for myself. But my
> recent experience of trying to make Vim attractive to a programmer
> moving into Linux showed me that some simple changes to Vim might
> make it a lot more attractive to new users.
>
> > You appear to assume that what you want is what everybody wants.
>
> No! For posterity let me record that I am not one of those people.
> I'm only making these suggestions because I know you want to
> promote Vim usage, and some way to easily invoke a
> pre-defined set of behaviour for a modern PC would help IMHO.

It's a bit dangerous to assume that someone else wants something.  Do
you know about the Abeline paradox?

I don't think you can define "modern PC" without getting into a lot of
discissions.  Unless you mean "MS-Windows XP PC with notepad", that
would be clearer.

> > Imagine how many exceptions we need to handle in the
> > documentation: "if you use theme X then this doesn't work
> > and you need to type XYZ".
>
> I take your point and agree. But I will make one final suggestion:
> Do not hide how Vim works. Tell users about vimrc, and what a
> mapping is, etc. People who would use Vim are smart, and can
> instantly understand that there is a config file, and that keys can
> be mapped. But a new user will probably not want to take the time to
> work out the details and their optimum settings right now.

Perhaps providing a file with commented-out option settings and
mappings.  With comments and/or links to the help to explain what they
do.  The ":options" window still requires adding lines to a script file.
And it doesn't support mappings.

> Take the wonderful quickfix window (which I use mainly for vimgrep).
> Using quickfix with ':copen' etc just doesn't work for me. I don't
> mind typing a few commands, but in this situation, the commands
> interfere too much with my thoughts. Once I mapped keys for :copen,
> :cn and :cp, quickfix was a magnificent feature.

That's just because you happen to need this, and pick the one feature
out of the thousands available and map it to a key.  If you would want
to do this for all the features you find out that your key combinations
get too complicated.  It's essential that you do this mapping yourself.

> My vague concept about a "theme" is that it would insert text into
> vimrc. The user would be told this, and they could modify the text
> to taste. Right now, it is pretty easy to get BufExplorer working,
> and then \be is the default key sequence to start it. That's like
> what I am proposing for other killer features of Vim.

If you are not willing to type ":copen" but typing "\co" does then I'm
completely confused.

> > You can always tell someone to download your script and use it.
>
> There are too many tips and scripts already. I was hoping (*not* for
> me!) to integrate some of the best work procedures into one or two
> pre-defined behaviours.

Everybody has a different set of features that he needs.

--
A fine is a tax for doing wrong.  A tax is a fine for doing well.