Benjamin Fritz wrote:
> On the wiki's home page, we have that "top content" box.  What if we
> added a new box for "most active contributors" or even "recent
> contributors"?

Is the "top content" box working? It seems to me I see the same titles
  continually since a month or so, at least in the top five. Is there
a way to see more visitor statistics (which/how many per day/week,
which categories popular, visitors from which countries etc.)?
As a side note, if the most visited results are credible, then perhaps
we should rethink our title naming policy - some of the more popular
tips bear truly peculiar titles (with our favourite "A totally useless
tip...or is it ?" in the top 25 ;))

As for emails, I agree there is not much use for them in the new wiki
since we have user Talk pages and old tip site still available.

I would argue, however, about removing the author field, at least in
the tip namespace. I agree it's not very wiki-style but IMO the whole
Vim Tips Wiki is somewhat special. With numbered tip pages, comments
and 'created/complexity etc.' attributes, it is not strictly
'wikified', so the author field does not create much dissonance.
OTOH, it adds more incentive for contributions - I think the old tip
system with tip ratings encouraged it even more - seeing your
contributed tips with your name in top rankings must have surely been
a nice ego-boost.

As a compromise we could maybe put it closer to page bottom as a kind
of footnote. And we could deal with multiple author edits and tip
merges by putting there more names or selecting the one from most
significant tip.

Regarding statistics, the 'most active/recent contributors' page is a
good idea but note that, similarly to current statistics, it focuses
on quantity and is biased against random contributors with gem tips.
Anyway, we could definitely use many more kinds of rankings and
statistics to ecourage people.

Regards,
Santhalus