hermitte wrote:
> Why not being even more crazy? We could add a "Categories="
> option to {{vimtip}} This way the template can take care of
> sorting all the categories the way we want. And nobody is
> disturbed by category lines in the text of the tip.

I have edited these templates so we can now put categories inside the template:
 Template:TipImported
 Template:TipNew
 Template:TipProposed

Example usage is at these pages:
 http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Run_Vim_command_on_current_C/C%2B%2B/Java_function
 http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Automatically_create_and_update_cscope_database
 http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Continue_omnicompletion_for_python_modules

Don't bother modifying tips (by all means, try it, but don't go to any
trouble). I
will convert all the existing tips to the new system using a bot (somehow ...
details to be decided).

As discussed, this will mean:

1. There won't be any [[Category:xxx]] lines at the bottom of a tip - lines that
newbies find mysterious, and which cause trouble when a comment is added.

2. Category lines will be in a specific place (in the tip template at the top),
so
we won't have to look for them. And they won't be in the middle of a tip (which
can
again confuse new editors).

Syntax is pretty simple. A tip may have:

{{TipImported
|id=123
|rating=53/17
}}

You can insert up to six categories like this:

{{TipImported
|id=123
|rating=53/17
|category1=Folding
|category2=Python
|category4=
}}

Note that category4 is blank, and category3, category5 and category6 are
missing.
That does not cause problems. This tip would be in categories Folding and Python
(and VimTip).

Please put the categories just before the "}}" as shown above (the "}}" should
be on
a line by itself). I recommend putting categories in alphabetical order (that
saves
wondering what order to use, and makes comparing categories in different tips a
tiny
bit easier).

I couldn't see how to have "categories=Folding|Python" inside the tip template.
thought about having another template, so you would put:

{{Categories|Folding|Python}}
{{TipImported
|id=123
}}

But in the end I decided that "category1" etc was simpler. For one thing, I
intend
having the bot add one or two empty category lines, to make editing easier
(like the
"category4" example above).

One thing I'm not sure about is whether we could set the sort order for a
category.
We're not doing that, so I decided not to worry about it. If wanted, template
{{!}}
might help, or if really desperate, you could fallback to having a separate
[[Category:Folding|Sort key]] line.

John