Bill McCarthy wrote:
> On Wed 6-Feb-08 9:33pm -0600, Charles E. Campbell, Jr. wrote:
>
>> Bill McCarthy wrote:

>>> I have sequentially applied all prior patches, yet:
>>>
>>>    patching file src/ops.c
>>>    Hunk #1 FAILED at 2197.
>>>    Hunk #2 FAILED at 2242.
>>>    Hunk #3 FAILED at 2325.
>>>    3 out of 3 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file src/ops.c.rej
>>>    patching file src/testdir/test39.in
>>>    Hunk #1 FAILED at 1.
>>>    Hunk #2 FAILED at 16.
>>>    2 out of 2 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file
>>> src/testdir/test39.in.rej
>>>    patching file src/testdir/test39.ok
>>>    patching file src/version.c
>>>
>>> After obtaining the patched files from the SVN repository,
>>> I applied  244 without a problem.
>>>

>> Hmm -- I've been sequentially applying the patches, and have had no
>> problems thus far.  I get them via ftp.
>
> Thanks for your response, Chip.
>
> This may be a failure of my email program - The Bat!.  I
> see the problem (the non-printable characters less than
> decimal 31 and greater than decimal 127).
>
> I get my patches here.  I usually get export to gVim - that
> passes the data in RFC-822 compliant format.
>
> I tried exporting to a file as a "Unix mailbox" and then
> editing that file with gVim - same problem.  Even the first
> patch for ops.c (which contains non of these special
> characters) had a few "=20" things.
>
> Is the email we are receiving from the list correct?
>
> Is anyone else having problems with patches containing
> characters outside the 31-127 range?  If so, than perhaps
> Bram should give us a warning on such patches - i.e. get
> these from the FTP site.

I've had problems in the past when getting patches from the mail: not
necessarily any fault of Bram's, my ISP's mail servers sometimes (apparently
unpredictably) convert mail either way between 8bit and quoted-printable. Now
when an email is encoded in quoted-printable format (as shown by the
Content-Transfer-Encoding header) some "special" characters are recoded by
means of a notation starting with an equal sign, meaning that the equal sign
itself acquires a special meaning in the message as transmitted. Most mail
clients are aware of this and decode the quoted-printable format to make it
readable, but if you save the mail as rfc822 it will still be in
quoted-printable and thus not in a format acceptable by the patch program.

Quoted-printable means the following:

- An equal sign at the end of a line means "continuation": this line should be
joined to the next one by removal of both the equal sign and the line break;
- An equal sign followed by two hex digits should be replaced by the
corresponding byte (for example, =3D in Latin1 quoted-printable means a "true"
equal sign);
- After the above transformations, the result should be interpreted according
to the encoding defined by the "charset" attribute in the "Content-Type" header.

Patches on the FTP site -- at ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/patches/7.1/ -- don't
need all the above conversions, they are in whatever format Bram used before
any quoted-printable conversion (usually in 8-bit Latin1, sometimes --when
necessary-- in UTF-8).

Best regards,
Tony.
--
"Amnesia used to be my favorite word, but then I forgot it."