On Fri 8-Feb-08 3:31am -0600, Tony Mechelynck wrote:

> Bill McCarthy wrote:

>>> Hmm -- I've been sequentially applying the patches, and have had no
>>> problems thus far.  I get them via ftp.

>> Thanks for your response, Chip.
>>
>> This may be a failure of my email program - The Bat!.  I
>> see the problem (the non-printable characters less than
>> decimal 31 and greater than decimal 127).
>>
>> I get my patches here.  I usually get export to gVim - that
>> passes the data in RFC-822 compliant format.
>>
>> I tried exporting to a file as a "Unix mailbox" and then
>> editing that file with gVim - same problem.  Even the first
>> patch for ops.c (which contains non of these special
>> characters) had a few "=20" things.
>>
>> Is the email we are receiving from the list correct?
>>
>> Is anyone else having problems with patches containing
>> characters outside the 31-127 range?  If so, than perhaps
>> Bram should give us a warning on such patches - i.e. get
>> these from the FTP site.

> I've had problems in the past when getting patches from the mail: not
> necessarily any fault of Bram's, my ISP's mail servers sometimes (apparently
> unpredictably) convert mail either way between 8bit and quoted-printable. Now
> when an email is encoded in quoted-printable format (as shown by the
> Content-Transfer-Encoding header) some "special" characters are recoded by
> means of a notation starting with an equal sign, meaning that the equal sign
> itself acquires a special meaning in the message as transmitted. Most mail
> clients are aware of this and decode the quoted-printable format to make it
> readable, but if you save the mail as rfc822 it will still be in
> quoted-printable and thus not in a format acceptable by the patch program.
>
> Quoted-printable means the following:
>
> - An equal sign at the end of a line means
> "continuation": this line should be
> joined to the next one by removal of both the equal sign and the line break;
> - An equal sign followed by two hex digits should be replaced by the
> corresponding byte (for example, =3D in Latin1
> quoted-printable means a "true"
> equal sign);
> - After the above transformations, the result should be interpreted according
> to the encoding defined by the "charset" attribute in the "Content-Type"
> header.

Thanks for that detailed explanation of what's going on and
how one could deal with it.

> Patches on the FTP site -- at
> ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/patches/7.1/ -- don't
> need all the above conversions, they are in whatever format Bram used before
> any quoted-printable conversion (usually in 8-bit Latin1, sometimes --when
> necessary-- in UTF-8).

I'm convinced :-)  From now on I patch only from the FTP
site.

BTW, it still requires one conversion - since my source is
in DOS format.  However I already have that built into my
patch alias.

I still think it would be nice if the patch emails
contained a warning whenever there are any characters in
the range of [^\t -~].

Bill