On 08/03/09 03:15, Matt Wozniski wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 7, 2009 at 9:05 PM, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
>>> Hm.  Support for using cygwin's gcc to do cross-compile builds is soon
>>> to be dropped.  Maybe we should remove the option to do this from
>>> Make_cyg.mak?  Or, at least add a note to the README noting that the
>>> option is deprecated and soon to be removed?
>> The only interest of Make_cyg.mak is to compile Vim binaries which don't
>> need Cygwin to run
> No, it allows for compiling either mingw OR cygwin binaries (at the
> moment).  And, if you've ever tried to run a ./configure script on
> cygwin, you'll understand why that's still useful...

I stand corrected.

>> using the -mno-cygwin option  of the Cygwin gcc
>> compiler and the appropriate corresponding option of the linker.
> This option will be removed when Cygwin migrates to Cygwin 1.7 / gcc
> 4.  See http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2008-09/msg00291.html .
> Removing the option has been planned for some time - it has never
> really worked correctly, it provides no significant advantages over
> simply using mingw to compile, and it has historically been very
> confusing to users.
>
> ~Matt

If removing the option has always been confusing to users, then why
can't they leave it in? The _option_ to compile native-Windows programs
using Cygwin gcc _is_ a useful thing, I can't imagine on what grounds
someone would think the opposite. (Of course it should _also_ be
possible to compile programs for the cygwin1.dll.)

Best regards,
Tony.
--
To a Real Woman, every ejaculation is premature.