On Sat, Mar 7, 2009 at 9:32 PM, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
> On 08/03/09 03:15, Matt Wozniski wrote:
>> On Sat, Mar 7, 2009 at 9:05 PM, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
>>> using the -mno-cygwin option  of the Cygwin gcc
>>> compiler and the appropriate corresponding option of the linker.
>> This option will be removed when Cygwin migrates to Cygwin 1.7 / gcc
>> 4.  See http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2008-09/msg00291.html .
>> Removing the option has been planned for some time - it has never
>> really worked correctly, it provides no significant advantages over
>> simply using mingw to compile, and it has historically been very
>> confusing to users.
>
> If removing the option has always been confusing to users, then why
> can't they leave it in?

No, *having* the option has always been confusing to users.  Regularly
people ask for help on the cygwin mailing lists for programs compiled
with the -mno-cygwin flag, not realizing that adding that flag meant
that they made a program that wasn't linked against cygwin1.dll and
couldn't use any cygwin capabilities.  It's pretty confusing to install
through cygwin's setup.exe cygwin's gcc, invoke a magical flag to
cygwin's compiler, and create a product that's explicitly only supported
by mingw and not by cygwin.

> The _option_ to compile native-Windows programs
> using Cygwin gcc _is_ a useful thing, I can't imagine on what grounds
> someone would think the opposite.

I never said it wasn't useful, just that it has never worked properly
and has no significant advantages over simply compiling with mingw.
Compiling native windows programs with Debian's gcc would also be
useful, but you're not likely to find a great deal of support for adding
a -mno-debian switch to Debian's gcc for that purpose.

~Matt