On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 7:14 PM, Paul LeoNerd Evans
<leon...@leonerd.org.uk> wrote:
> Over the past 7 years, I have been a member of the #vim channel on
> Freenode. Almost every week we get somebody in the channel who wonders
> such things as how to map Ctrl-Shift-T differently from Ctrl-T. We
> explain that isn't possible. Even in Gvim.

Actually, he's understating it. We usually get at least two people a
week. Several people a day isn't too uncommon. A lot of this is
because vim has already used pretty much every non-shifted key on the
keyboard -- you're left with either replacing default functionality
(which I don't like suggesting) or using <Leader> based combinations
(which I'm fine with, to a certain extent, but many others are not).

> *: I have also been developing a library, libtermkey, which aims to be
>   a better way to read key press events from terminals than existing
>   solutions that are curses or terminfo-based. While it reads the
>   terminfo database, it also fully understands the extended ways that
>   xterm et.al. encode modified keypresses, in a way that would be
>   fully compatible with vim's core, and existing behaviours.

Paul knows his stuff when it comes to terminal encoding. He's one of
the only people who *really* understands termcap/terminfo that I know,
as well as xterm and EMCA standards. And he's stated on #vim that
libtermkey is backwards compatible in that it will read terminfo files
and handle anything in the terminfo database correctly. The API is
different, but that's because it has to be -- it's exposing far more
functionality than termcap/terminfo could ever dream of.

Historically, termcap and terminfo date back to code that was
originally in vi. I think it would be appropriate if the next
improvement in terminal key handling came, in large part, from the vim
community. It would be a great feature for v8. And I'm quite sure
there would be plenty of beta testers on numerous platforms (I'll
personally volunteer for XP, AIX 5.3, Solaris 9, RHEL5, and RHEL6).

Tom