On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 8:14 PM, Tom Sorensen wrote:
> On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 7:14 PM, Paul LeoNerd Evans
> <leon...@leonerd.org.uk> wrote:
>> Over the past 7 years, I have been a member of the #vim channel on
>> Freenode. Almost every week we get somebody in the channel who wonders
>> such things as how to map Ctrl-Shift-T differently from Ctrl-T. We
>> explain that isn't possible. Even in Gvim.
>
> Actually, he's understating it. We usually get at least two people a
> week. Several people a day isn't too uncommon. A lot of this is
> because vim has already used pretty much every non-shifted key on the
> keyboard -- you're left with either replacing default functionality
> (which I don't like suggesting) or using <Leader> based combinations
> (which I'm fine with, to a certain extent, but many others are not).

I'd be certain that the average is at least 2 or 3 people a day - many
of the IRC regulars have seen this question get asked multiple times
in one day, and we're not on for 24 hours - usually more like 2 or 3.
And let's not forget how often it comes up on the mailing list - A
quick search over the last ~1 year shows the below list of threads
that all amount to "you can't map that in vim".  I emphatically agree
that vim's keyboard handling is one of the ugliest parts of the
editor; something definitely needs to be done to bring vim back up on
par with other GUI tools.

~Matt

Mapping Shift-space: how to tell if its possible?
How to imap <C-=> ?
CTRL+W under MS Windows
map <a-h> on win32 (Win XP) gvim 7.2 in french layout work      incorrectly
accent grave in french(France) keyboard layout is not printing. win32
(Win XP) Platform
why nmap<A-0> not work?
map <a-h> on win32 (Win XP) gvim 7.2 in french layout work      incorrectly
What is Alt-T supposed to do by default?
Mapping ctrl-; (ctrl semicolon)
mapping problems
How to map Ctrl+/ ?
mapping alt-keys
add mapping to auto-fill
Binding Ctrl+Tab and Ctrl+Shift+Tab difficulties with Vim and PuTTY.
Bugging me for a long time
Can't :imap <S-space>
How to map Alt+key when using vim in putty
How to get Alt-[ in putty terminal
How to map ctrl-del to delete word?
how to map <tab> and <c-i> independently
How to map key shift+ctrl+N?
I can't "remap" <Shift-F4> key
Insert Mode Mappings on a Mac
map! <C-=> <C-o>gt and map! <C--> <C-o>gT Don't work
map command, ctrl-v and .vimrc
"map <C-J> <C-W>j" not operate...help..
mapping control+0-1 or backtick
Maping Ctrl-Shift-s problems
Mapping shift-space
Mappings to shift-keys within terminal mode
Mappings for tab navigation don't work
<Tab> and <C-i> will clash in mappings
unable to map ctrl-1
Unable to map Ctrl+Shift+Z