Hello.

This is very interesting thread.

> We -really- need to be able to distinguish Escape, the ASCII sequence of
> 0x1e, from <Esc>, the human-level idea of pressing that piece of
> plastic. This would enable us to
>
>  :map <Esc> foobarsplot

And also get rid of the waiting loop for distinguishing between manual Esc key
press and a terminal generated sequence of bytes...

BTW, slightly different topic: how can one remap some internal function from
its default hotkey to the different one? As far as I know there is nothing like
"leave insert mode" function which can be mapped to the different key in case
Esc is already mapped to something else. Am I wrong?

Typical example:

" make 'Q' working as original 'D', that part works:
:map Q D

" now remap 'D' to something else as we have 'Q' for original 'D' action already
:map D $

now both 'Q' and 'D' work as '$' instead of having 'Q' working like original
'D' and 'D' working like original '$'.

Milan