On 15/08/10 22:19, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

Xavier de Gaye wrote:

On Sun, May 23, 2010 at 12:38 PM, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

When 7.3 is released it will become the default branch. =A0How this is
done I don't know. ...

The 'vim73' branch can be given the name of the 'default' branch with
the 'hg branch --force default' command after the 'default' branch is
named 'vim72' with the 'hg branch vim72' command (both followed by
commit).

A simple test made on a fake repo with 'default' and 'vim73' branches
(same as in the current vim repo) shows this result after that is done:

$ hg branches
default                     5:ce5266650699
vim72                       4:d5bb6abbab9a
vim73                       3:90078dbe59dd (inactive)

Changeset '3:90078dbe59dd' is the tip of the vim73 branch before it is
renamed to 'default'.

Now that I'm ready to make vim73 the default branch, it occurs to me
that when I do this, doing "hg update vim73" will stop working.

What I would like to do is keep the "vim73" label on the branch, but
make it the default one.

So currently:

        hg clone ...     gives you the default branch, Vim 7.2.1234
        hg update vim73  switches to Vim 7.3

What I would like to get:

        hg clone ...     gives you the default branch, Vim 7.3.001
        hg update vim73  stays on the default branch
        hg update vim72  switches to Vim 7.2.1234

Is that possible?  Or does making vim73 the default branch always have
the result that switching to the vim73 branch stops working?

An acceptable alternative would be that the default branch has the
latest version, including patches, while "vim73" is plain 7.3, no patches.

I think it's your "acceptable alternative":

if you make the "default" branch point to the latest 7.3 build -- maybe by

        hg update default
        hg --config ui.merge=internal:other merge -r vim73

(but watch out for "resurrected" files if you do that) then (IIUC) "hg update vim73" will forever give you the last 7.3 changeset before the merge. You may thereafter create a "tag" (pointing to one revision) or a "branch" (pointing to one revision and all its children excluding other branches) so that "hg update vim72" would point to 7.2.446 or its latest "7.2" descendant if any. For a branch you may need to create a new changeset with no changes, I'm not sure. Or you may wait until 7.2.447 if any and use a --branch argument in the commit for that changeset.

Best regards,
Tony.
--
Bumper sticker:

"All the parts falling off this car are of the very finest British
manufacture"