On 17 August 2010 13:11, Xavier de Gaye wrote:

> Assume that on doing the first branching last may, the reverse had
> been done instead, that is:
>
>    . the vim73 release is developed on the main branch (the 'default'
>      NamedBranch)
>
>    . creation of a 'vim72' NamedBranch where the critical patches of the main
>      branch (the 'default' NamedBranch) are retrofited as vim72 patches
>
>    . the 'vim73' NamedBranch does not exist
>
> What would have changed:
>
>    . no need to 'hg update vim73' when the branch was created (as most
>      of us probably did at this time)
>
>    . no need to 'hg update default' now (without forgetting to do
>      first a 'hg pull'), once the vim73 release is done
>
> What are the drawbacks of the above scheme ?

It would have made life easier for me with maintaining the Git
repository.  Renaming the "vim73" branch "default" lead to problems as
I outlined in a recent post.  Had the development of vim73 taken place
on the "default" branch I would have had no problems.

I for one would be very happy if the next version (vim74?) used this
scheme (i.e. where all new work happens on the "default" branch).

Björn