Björn Winckler wrote:

> On 17 August 2010 13:11, Xavier de Gaye wrote:

> > Assume that on doing the first branching last may, the reverse had
> > been done instead, that is:
> >
> >    . the vim73 release is developed on the main branch (the 'default'
> >      NamedBranch)
> >
> >    . creation of a 'vim72' NamedBranch where the critical patches of the
> > main
> >      branch (the 'default' NamedBranch) are retrofited as vim72 patches
> >
> >    . the 'vim73' NamedBranch does not exist
> >
> > What would have changed:
> >
> >    . no need to 'hg update vim73' when the branch was created (as most
> >      of us probably did at this time)
> >
> >    . no need to 'hg update default' now (without forgetting to do
> >      first a 'hg pull'), once the vim73 release is done
> >
> > What are the drawbacks of the above scheme ?
>
> It would have made life easier for me with maintaining the Git
> repository.  Renaming the "vim73" branch "default" lead to problems as
> I outlined in a recent post.  Had the development of vim73 taken place
> on the "default" branch I would have had no problems.
>
> I for one would be very happy if the next version (vim74?) used this
> scheme (i.e. where all new work happens on the "default" branch).

In my opinion the default branch should contain the stable version.
Most users would sync there once in a while to update their Vim.

Developers would want to get the bleeding edge version, and we can
assume the can follow the instructions to sync to a different branch.

I think what would normally happen is to merge the development branch
back into the default branch.  But just like the problems you have now,
I suspect that migth not work very well.

--
>From "know your smileys":
 %-)    After staring at screen for 15 hours