On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 8:49 AM, Xavier de Gaye <xdeg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 2:01 PM, James Vega wrote:
>> On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 11:26:36PM +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
>>> I think what would normally happen is to merge the development branch
>>> back into the default branch.  But just like the problems you have now,
>>> I suspect that migth not work very well.
>>
>> This would have worked just fine (as I had mentioned the first time it was
>> brought up).
>

> This is not quite right. Attempting to merge vim72 into default, or
> default into vim72 (as with the following two sequences of commands)
> requires to manually solve many merge conflicts.

Yes, there are conflicts that need to be merged since development
happened on both branches after vim73 was branched from default.  That's
expected and normal but not difficult to deal with and is a one time
cost, for one person, that happens at the time of the merge.

The conflicts that do happen are also simple to resolve though because
you know that you want all of the vim73 changes.  You can either
manually use all of them (which is really easy if using Vim to handle
the merge conflicts) or use a method similar to what Tony explained.

> # vim72 into default
> hg clone vim-master foobar
> cd foobar
> hg merge vim72

hg --config ui.merge=internal:local merge vim72

> # default into vim72
> hg clone vim-master foobar
> cd foobar
> hg update vim72
> hg merge default

hg --config ui.merge=internal:other merge default

>>               The expected way to resolve the end of a branch's development
>> cycle is to merge it back into its parent.  This would have prevented the
>> problem that Tony raised about the default branch now having two heads.
>

> Actually, having multiple heads in the same branch may be considered
> as not a problem. When we have local changes, after pulling from the
> official repository, in order to merge the new official changesets
> into our own local changes, we now have to run (where <highest
> revision number> is given by 'hg heads' for example):
>
>    hg merge -r <highest revision number>
>
> instead of previously with only one head:
>
>    hg merge

Right, so it's now more complicated for people to interact with the
repository than it previously was.

--
James
GPG Key: 1024D/61326D40 2003-09-02 James Vega <james...@jamessan.com>