--- the pickle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> At 14:13 -0500 on 31/07/02, R.A. Cantrell wrote:
>
> >Thanks  for the response. To push the abstraction a
> bit further, let's  say
> >we're talking OS 8.1 and that it is on a  computer
> bought and  dragged in
> >from a  garage sale? How about on a  stack of HD's
> pulled from computers
> >bought at a  garage sale? I practical terms, I
> don't think  the Blue
>
> Technically, a seller is *supposed* to transfer the
> licence with the computer,
> or if they don't wish to transfer the licence, wipe
> the computer clean.  So in
> theory, at least, it's not *your* problem.

I doubt Apple cares a whole lot about any OS that
isn't currently selling or shipping on New Macs
or Macs that are still under warranty.

Microsoft has been going after thrift shops selling
PCs with any MS system on it, even if they have
all the original disks etc with the computer.
Their attitude seems to be that their OS licenses
are not transferrable and each successive owner of
a PC should pay MS again for all their software.

The company to "thank" for the software licensing
mess is MicroPro, the company that did the original
WordStar word processor for CP/M. They were the
first one to put in the license (on an ASCII "splash
screen") that you, the user, did not purchase the
software. You only paid a license fee to _use_ the
software, revokeable at any time by MicroPro.

That's when software sales began to diverge from
the "book" model where you bought a book and could
do anything you wanted with it. Later the music and
movie industries decided it was a great idea and
ever since have been trying to figure out a way
to make every person pay them money _every time_
they watch any movie or listen to any song.

The world could've done without that "gift" from
MicroPro!

=====
http://www.junkscience.com "All the Junk that's fit to Debunk!"